Caravan Car Breakdown Cover

Break down cover for cars towing a caravan or Trailer​

It’s not compulsory to have break down cover or roadside assistance however it is a wise choice if you do a lot of travelling. Many car breakdown and roadside recovery plans now include, or provide an option to include a caravan or trailer with your car breakdown cover or roadside recovery cover. This enhanced cover applies to most towable items like trailers or horse box trailers. 

Roadside assistance & recovery for cars towing caravans

Entry level breakdown cover which includes caravan and trailers starts from as little as £45 per year. The companies included in table below all offer car breakdown cover with caravan recovery either included as standard or the ability to add caravan or trailer recovery as an extra. We have highlighted cover where caravan breakdown recovery is included as a standard feature of cover.

Breakdown Cover With Towed Caravans

GEM Motoring Assist Breakdown

Recovery Reclaim – from £65.42 annual cover
1 Person/single driver (includes towed trailer or caravan recovery). 
Recovery Extra – from £80.55 annual cover
1 Person/single driver (includes towed trailer or caravan recovery). 

Caravan Recovery Included
Caravan up to 7m in length 
Or trailer up to 3.05m in length
12 months for the price of 10

AA Car Caravan Breakdown 

AA Breakdown Cover

Included as standard
Caravan or trailer connected by standard 50mm (2 inch) towing coupling.
Max weight 3.5 tonnes. 
Max width 8ft 3in (2.55m).

Car breakdown cover will often provide breakdown cover for a touring caravan or towed trailer, if not available as standard cover you can often add a caravan or trailer as an optional extra, good breakdown cover will provide:

  • Roadside assistance: Cover for call outs when you break down away from home.

  • Caravan/trailer recovery: Covers towing your caravan or trailer to any location if it cannot be fixed by the side of the road. Caravan and trailer recovery usually includes recovery of the tow vehicle if needed.

  • Onward travel cover: Covers temporary cost of a hire car, public transport or overnight accommodation so you can continue your journey where possible.

  • Home start: Covers breakdowns that happen at your home. 

It all depends on the level of cover. Some break down cover will allow for unlimited call outs, basic policies might only allow one claim or call out per year. 

YES – If you have break down cover with caravan/trailer recovery, your recovery service should arrange to take your caravan to the garage with your car. Some policies will allow for a caravan to be towed separately to the nearest campsite if you car or tow vehicle is not able to be fixed the same day.

Most breakdown and recovery policies offer European travel as an optional extra. It is always best to check with your service provider before you travel to confirm whether your breakdown cover in Europe will include recovery of your caravan or trailer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *